|“Hiding My Heart”|
| Song by Adele|
from the album 21
|21 track listing|
|"If It Hadn't Been for Love"|
"Hiding My Heart" (sometimes referred to as "Hiding My Heart Away") is a song recorded by Adele for the UK limited edition release of her sophomore album, 21. It was originally recorded by Brandi Carlile for her album, The Story, in 2007. The song was written by Tim Hanseroth and produced by Rodaidh McDonald. It was one of two bonus tracks released for the UK limited edition of the album, the other being "If It Hadn't Been for Love."
Background and original versionEdit
"Hiding My Heart" is a song that is exactly 3 minutes and 28 seconds long. It was written in the key of C Major, according to MusicNotes. It was written by Tim Hanseroth and was originally performed by Brandi Carlile as a hidden track on her album The Story in 2007. Following this, Adele recorded a cover of it, which was included on some deluxe editions of her album 21.
Before Adele covered it, she had revealed that the song made her very emotional, explaining that a friend of hers had exposed her to the song, and, "It's so cheesy, but I'm really relating to that song at the moment." She added that the song "really makes me cry."
Cover Stories Edit
In February 2017, Brandi Carlile announced that she would be releasing a charity compilation album titled Cover Stories, whose proceeds would benefit War Child UK. Cover Stories includes Adele's version of "Hiding My Heart," which Carlile cited as the "original inspiration" for the album. While recruiting artists for the album, Carlile made several efforts to reach Adele in hopes of gaining approval to use her version of "Hiding My Heart." Shortly after covering Adele's "When We Were Young," Carlile revealed that Adele had given consent to use her version of the song for the album, marking its completion.
During promotion for the album, Carlile wrote about Adele's involvement with the project on her official Instagram account:
|“||Adele is probably the only superstar in the world (apart from my beloved Elton John) who I would gladly get in a bar fight over should harsh words be spoken of her. She cuts right through the melodrama and the marketing and speaks to us all in a way that's so unfiltered. I know I'm not alone in feeling a little bit like she's 'friends with the world.' To add to this supernatural ability, she's gone and made the decision to use it for the good of all mankind by transferring this power into compassion for those without a voice. She has my respect and admiration... she has the ability to remind us all of our home and our school friends—perhaps these are things when considering a childhood in a refugee camp we simply can't afford to take for granted.||”|
Live performances Edit
- Adele – vocals
- Tim Hanseroth – songwriting
- Ben Thomas – guitar
- Rodaidh McDonald – producer, mixer
- ↑ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/21_(Adele_album)#Track_listing
- ↑ http://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtdFPE.asp?ppn=MN0098169
- ↑ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Story_(Brandi_Carlile_album)#Track_listing
- ↑ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvFdhicwvb8
- ↑ http://www.rollingstone.com/music/premieres/brandi-carlile-enlists-pearl-jam-adele-for-cover-stories-w467911
- ↑ https://www.instagram.com/p/BPN0VkvlyW0/
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzlHHEkLTtA
- ↑ https://www.instagram.com/p/BP9EcU8FlU2/
- ↑ https://www.instagram.com/p/BRJ10KdhmyK/
- ↑ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2aejXvMGbM
- ↑ https://www.discogs.com/Adele-21/release/5420863
- ↑ https://www.discogs.com/Adele-21/release/2665297