|"Water Under the Bridge"|
| Single by Adele|
from the album 25
|Adele singles chronology|
|"Send My Love (To Your New Lover)"|
|25 track listing|
|← Previous||Next →|
"Water Under the Bridge" is a song recorded by Adele, taken from her third studio album, 25. The song was written by Adele with Greg Kurstin. It appears as the sixth track on the album. It was released as the fourth and final single from 25 on November 4, 2016, and was sent to radio on November 14.
"Water Under the Bridge" was the first song Adele wrote with Greg Kurstin for the album. Written in Los Angeles, Adele revealed that it was conceived almost as quickly as "Someone Like You," which she claimed was the fastest song she'd ever written.
In an interview with Rolling Stone, Adele confirmed that "Water Under the Bridge" was written about her relationship with Simon Konecki: "It was sort of about a relationship suddenly getting really, really serious, and then getting a bit frightened by it, and then realizing that 'I think this must be right. This is the relationship that I want to be in for as long as I can possibly be in it.'"
She expanded on the song more in an interview with SiriusXM's Jenny Eliscu, stating, "That sentiment was [about] fear of [how] things are going to go wrong, so maybe I should sort of just... you know, just end it now. Don't pretend you don't want me, and stuff like that." She added that it was also about "overcoming obstacles, which I think is when you really know you're in a relationship, is when you get past all of those things." She further compared it to the 2004 film The Notebook.
In a track-by-track review of the album with The New York Times, Adele expanded on the track:
|“||It’s about making a relationship work, about wanting to make a relationship work. All relationships are up and down, and that’s part of a relationship—the tapestry of it and the muddiness of it. That’s part of it, and that’s as thrilling for me as the kicks I used to get out of a relationship falling apart. Overcoming those things—I think they make me feel powerful. They make me feel loved by him and make me love him more when we overcome stuff. I would much rather do that than just sit in the dark.||”|
Promotion and live performances Edit
Prior to the release of 25, Adele partnered with Target to promote the album. Seven short music videos were filmed for different songs on the album in order to promote the Target deluxe edition, one of which was for "Water Under the Bridge." The video features Adele leaning against a wall in an empty house, singing the first line of the first verse and the chorus.
Adele performed "Water Under the Bridge" for the first time during her Adele Live in New York City show on November 17, 2015. The performance aired on December 14 on NBC, although "Water Under the Bridge" was initially cut from the special. The special was re-broadcast on May 6 and included all of the cut songs, including "Water Under the Bridge." On November 23, Adele performed the song on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon. The song was further included in the setlist of the Adele Live 2016 tour.
- Adele – songwriting, lead vocals, backing vocals
- Greg Kurstin – songwriting, producer, engineer, bass, drums, guitar, piano, keyboards
- Serban Ghenea – mixer
- Alex Pasco – engineer
- Julian Burg – engineer
- Liam Nolan – engineer
- John Hanes – engineer
- ↑ http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/podcasts/7808739/chart-beat-podcast-miley-cyrus-hannah-montana-other-esteemed
- ↑ https://itunes.apple.com/nz/album/water-under-the-bridge-single/id1171127928
- ↑ http://www.energy.de/nat/musik/energy-soundcheck-adele
- ↑ https://twitter.com/gthot20/status/793430310209847296
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 http://blog.siriusxm.com/2015/11/16/adele-celebrates-new-album-25-with-intimate-listener-qa-on-the-spectrum/
- ↑ http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/adele-inside-her-private-life-and-triumphant-return-20151103?page=4
- ↑ http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/24/arts/music/adele-on-25-song-by-song.html
- ↑ https://corporate.target.com/article/2015/11/more-music-adele-sneak-peek
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIgKHiFfB0k
- ↑ https://www.discogs.com/Adele-25/release/7748058